Doctoral scholarship holder for an interdisciplinary PhD in Sociology and Philosophy
Department: Faculty Social Sciences
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Philosophy in the Faculty of Arts and the Department of Sociology in the Faculty of Social Sciences are looking for a full-time doctoral scholarship holder for an interdisciplinary PhD in Sociology and Philosophy.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis on the topic of sexual harassment in Flemish higher education. In the context of this project you study the discourse on sexual harassment within a Flemish university and relate this to international debates (in feminist philosophy and sociology, among others) on normative and conceptual questions concerning sexual harassment. You use this information to organize a sensitization workshop on this theme. As the project is part of a European research project, your findings also contribute to a European comparison.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the research groups within which you will be appointed.
- You hold a Master degree in the domain of Gender and Diversity Studies or a related humanities or social sciences discipline or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You are familiar with collecting empirical data or are willing to upskill in this area in the near future.
- You are willing to use conceptual analysis or other philosophical methods in addition to empirical research.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed at least until 31 January 2026 (when the European project ends).
- The planned start date is September 1st, 2023 or sooner if possible.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 24 April 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV, and a « writing sample » in English (for example, an exam paper), a brief description (200 words) of a research question about sexually transgressive behavior that appeals to you, and how you would like to answer it.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact P Dr. Katrien Schaubroeck (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof. Dr. Sarah Van de Velde (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.