Doctoral Position in Sociology (f/m/d)
The start date is April 1st, 2020 or by agreement. The position is available for three years.
The University of Konstanz has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and Excellence Strategy since 2007.
The position is available as part of a project funded by the German Science Foundation (DFG) on Personality or social environment? Which factors help young women to remain in the “leaky tech pipeline”? We investigate which factors lead (1) female students in engineering and technology subjects to leave for other fields and (2) graduates of these subjects to decide against working in the field of engineering and technology. The analyses are based mainly on the student survey of the German National Educational Panel Study (NEPS, SC 5). The project is conducted jointly with the Friedrich-Schiller University Jena, Prof. Dr. Leuze. The advertised position is located at the University of Konstanz in the working group on “Sociology with a focus on gender studies”, Prof. Dr. Strauss.
- Preparation and analysis of panel data (NEPS, SC 5)
- Presentation of research results at (inter-)national conferences
- Contribution to project-related publications
- General project administrative tasks
- Completion of a PhD thesis
- M.A. in sociology or related subject of social sciences (master)
- Very good skills in quantitative methods of empirical social research
- Very good skills in a statistical computer program (esp. Stata)
- Previous experiences with analyzing panel data are advantageous
- Very good English language skills are desirable
- An open and motivated research team
- A working group with several research projects on gender inequality
- Contact to the international and interdisciplinary research environment of the Excellence Cluster ‘The Politics of Inequality’
- The possibility for completing a PhD thesis