Post-doctoral position Cyberviolence on social media: a research on hate speech and image-based sexual abuse
The Law Faculty and the Faculty of Social Sciences are seeking to fill the following half-time (50%) vacancy for a post-doctoral position in the framework of the BELSPO Brain 2.0 project @ntidote.
Cyberviolence on social media: a research on hate speech and image-based sexual abuse
The researcher will be embedded in the research group Government and Law at the Law Faculty, which examines the impact of governance and multilevel government on public law and which complements legal analysis with interdisciplinary research methods, and also in the research group MIOS (Media & ICT in Organisations & Society) at the Faculty of Social Sciences’ Department of Communication Studies, which conducts qualitative and quantitative research on digital media use related opportunities and risks. The researcher will collaborate in the interuniversity @ntidote project which is also intrinsically interdisciplinary including research methodologies from several disciplines (legal sciences, criminology, social sciences and anthropology).
- You will conduct interdisciplinary research on cyberviolence. More specifically, you will investigate the legal framework on online hate and image-based sexual abuse, the role of the relevant actors to remedy these phenomena and positioning within the fundamental rights framework. Moreover, you will organise roundtables with stakeholders and an international seminar on the topic bringing together experts on the issues.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You will contribute to further grant proposals for follow-up projects.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a Phd in law, or have an equivalent experience in legal analysis and report drafting.
- You have published in the field of fundamental rights, internet and/or technology law, or criminal law.
- You have an excellent command of English. You have also an excellent command of either Dutch or French and a good command of the other language.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills.
- You like to take initiative, you are a team player and also able to work independently and enjoy accepting responsibility.
- You are strongly motivated to conduct high-level quantitative and qualitative research within the abovementioned domain.
- You are driven to publish your research results in scientific articles.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply. PhD candidates who have submitted their PhD at the moment of applying for this position, are also eligible.
- A half-time research position for a period of two years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the contract research staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- The planned start date is 1September 1, 2021.
- You will work at Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- The opportunity to participate in high-quality training and international conferences.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including April 18, 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ‘apply’, complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): a copy of your CV (including also your bibliography) and a cover letter in which you motivate your application.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. The interviews of the preselected candidates will take place in the second half of May 2021.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Catherine Van De Heyning (Catherine.VandeHeyning@uantwerpen.be) and Prof. dr. Michel Walrave (Michel.Walrave@uantwerpen.be).