Postdoctoral Researcher in Religion and Extremism (1.0 FTE)
As a successful applicant, you will work in the Department of Christianity and the History of Ideas, which is one of three departments in the Faculty. The successful candidate will work with current staff members across disciplinary, thematic and historical interfaces. They will also contribute to our shared line of inquiry, the contemporary governance of religion. The successful applicant will also be affiliated with the Centre for Religion, Conflict and Globalization and will be expected to contribute to the research, teaching and outreach activities of the Centre.
We welcome applications from researchers with a broad and critical engagement with the topic of religion and extremism with any regional/geographical focus.
This is a primarily research-driven position, with some teaching responsibilities. The successful candidate is expected to develop new ideas in research, and to acquire external funding (independently or jointly with other colleagues) for future research. S/he is expected to develop a conceptually consistent research programme that complements the research of the Centre for Religion, Conflict and Globalization and the Department of Christianity and the History of Ideas.
What we ask:
• a PhD from a relevant field, including Theology, Religious Studies, Political Science and International Relations, Security Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology
• track record of successful funding acquisition, or demonstrated potential to acquire research funding
• growing body of high-quality research outputs
• teaching excellence
• a team player with skills at working in a multidisciplinary team
• fluency in the English language, in written and spoken form
• willingness to take up residence in or near the city of Groningen.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Fixed-term contract: 26 months.
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
– a salary dependening on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) to a maximum of € 5,127 (salary scale 11) gross per month month for a full-time position
– a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
– a temporary appointment of 1.0 FTE from 1 November 2020 until 1 September 2022.
Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 32,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Being among the best research universities in Europe and working alongside prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen aims to be an international centre of knowledge.
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies dates back to the University’s foundation. Being part of a public university, it aims to perform cutting-edge research and teaching in a wide variety of disciplines in the fields of theology and religious studies. We investigate religions as cultural phenomena and social forces in diverse contexts in the past and present. By generating and sharing scholarly knowledge, the Faculty aims to create impact and to contribute to a sustainable society, offering the public and government credible resources for reflection on religion and society. In line with its strategy, the Faculty seeks to appoint a postdoctoral researcher in religion and extremism.
email@example.comDr Erin Wilson (if you would like to draw our attention to suitably qualified candidates)