Assistant Professor Gender Studies & Critical Theory
The Department of Media and Culture Studies (MCW) at Utrecht University is looking for an Assistant Professor with a Gender Studies & Critical Theory profile.
The candidate is expected to bring a broad expertise and will combine experience in teaching and research in the fields of transdisciplinary feminist and critical theory with a special focus on queer and trans studies. We welcome applications with additional areas of specialization in, among others, critical race theory, postcolonial theory, the Global South, indigenous studies, media studies, and critical-theoretical approaches to questions of diversity, inclusion and belonging from an intersectional perspective.
We are looking for candidates with a demonstrable motivation to teach, who have a flexible attitude, are willing to work inter and cross disciplinary with colleagues in the department, and who possess a proven commitment and talent for research. The position will consist of 70% teaching and 30% research.
As a tenured Assistant Professor you will teach in the Graduate Gender Programme Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Research external linkMaster’s curricula external link, Minors external linkand Postcolonial Studie external links.
The candidate’s research adds to the Graduate Gender programme that consists of the following four thematic strands:
1. Cultural Critique
2. Colonial Legacies-Postcolonial Formations
3. Crossing/Contesting Boundaries
4. Critical Epistemologies
The Graduate Gender Programme is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
A successful candidate can demonstrate:
- experience in teaching at Bachelor’s and (Research) Master’s level and with student supervision;
- commitment to inclusive education;
- vision on teaching and your own contribution to teaching;
- considerable research output, evidence of which include a finished PhD and publications at an internationally recognized level;
- experience with or good prospects for acquiring external funding;
- excellent communication skills, strength in interpersonal relationships and in being a team player;
- broad organizational awareness;
- basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) according to Dutch university standards (or to be obtained within two years);
- fluency in English, preferably close to near-native standard;
- if the candidate does not have a native command of Dutch the candidate is expected to obtain NT2-level spoken and written Dutch within two years of appointment.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE), initially for a period of two years. Following a positive annual evaluation – based on the faculty performance indicators – your employment will become permanent after two years. In case the evaluation is not satisfactory, the contract will be terminated. The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges between €3,746 and €5,190 (scale 11/12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions external link (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University external linkcan be found here.
For more information about this position, please contact Prof Rosemarie Buikema via R.L.Buikema@uu.nl external link.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ button below.
Your application should include:
- a letter of motivation (detailing how the candidate fulfills the requirements of the position as described above);
- a curriculum vitae including a full list of publications;
- certified copies of relevant diplomas, names and contact details of three (academic) referees.
Start of the contract is preferably August 1, 2021.
The application deadline is 15 January 2021.