Assistant Professor Gender Studies & Postcolonial Studies
The Department of Media and Culture Studies (MCW) at Utrecht University is looking for a candidate whose research adds to the research programme ‘Doing Gender: Media, Art and Politics’, which consists of four strands. These are:
1. Cultural Critique;
2. Colonial Legacies-Postcolonial Formations;
3. Crossing/Contesting Boundaries;
4. Critical Epistemologies.
The candidate combines experience in research and teaching in transdisciplinary feminist and postcolonial theories, with a special focus on activism, the arts and aesthetics in feminist, queer, critical race and/or critical whiteness studies.As a tenured Assistant Professor in Gender Studies & Postcolonial Studies you will teach in the programme’s Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Research Master’s curricula, with courses such as Introduction to Gender Studies (BA), Postcolonial Configurations (BA), Visuality and Technology (BA), Feminist Toolbox (MA), Art and Affect (MA), Feminist Research Practices (MA), Advanced Introduction to Gender Studies (RMA), Theory and Critical Research (RMA), Contemporary Feminist Debates (RMA), Gender, Art and Activism (RMA), Issues in Postcoloniality (RMA), The Body in Feminist Theory (RMA), as well as tutorials and methodological research seminars for PhD candidates.
For this position we require:
- experience in teaching at Bachelor’s and(Research) Master’s level;
- considerable research output, evidence of which include a finished PhD and publications at an internationally recognized level;
- experience with research applications for external funding;
- experience in programme coordination;
- commitment to inclusive education;
- good communication skills;
- broad organizational awareness;
- basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) according to Dutch university standards (or to be obtained within two years);
- fluency in English, preferably close to near-native standard;
- if the candidate does not have a native command of Dutch s/he is expected to obtain NT2-level spoken and written Dutch within two years of being appointed.